The City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate In Introductory Dog Grooming
This is the first part of the City & Guilds Level 3 Dog Grooming qualification.
What does the Introductory Certificate cover?
- Grooming Salon Health and Safety and legislation
- The Groomers Health Check and The Small Animal Welfare Act 2007
- Safe handling and moving of dogs. Recognising canine body language
- Ear, eye and nail care
- Understanding how to groom out different coat-types
- Sanitary area care
- Bathing and drying correctly and safely
- Safe use of clippers and scissors ( including equipment maintenance )
- Basic clipping patterns on 3 different dog breeds
- Basic styling of heads, feet and tails
- Using attachment combs
Your knowledge and skill will be assessed as follows:
1.) By Practical Assessments
What will you be assessed on?
- Monitoring the well-being of dogs in the Salon
- The Groomer’s Health Check
- Correct use of grooming equipment
- Planning your grooming
- Different grooming methods and styles
- Clipping and styling 3 different breeds of dog
How will you be assessed?
- You will trim three dogs, and answer questions put to you by the assessor.
Who will assess you?
- Eve Somers LCGI, GMG, ICMG
Where will you be assessed ?
- At Abbfabb Academy of Dog Grooming Training Centre. All assessments are carried out under full examination conditions.
2.) By Written Assessments and Home Assignments
What underpinning knowledge will you need to demonstrate?
- Client care
- Understanding how to use grooming equipment
- Dog grooming styles, methods and techniques
- Safe care and well-being of animals in the salon
- Health and safety in the salon
4 Home-study written assignments
1 short question and answer papers on grooming theory
Who marks your papers and assignments ?
- Eve Somers LCGI, GMG, ICMG
Where do the assessments take place ?
At Abbfabb Academy of Dog Grooming Training Centre. All assessments are carried out under full examination conditions.
There is an externally assessed theory exam called Evolve. It consists of 2 one hour online multiple choice tests, and is sat at a nearby examination venue. This is a compulsory unit of the qualification.
City and Guilds will issue certificates to all candidates who have successfully achieved the standard required to pass The City and Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Introductory Dog Grooming.
Fast Track Candidates– We offer the facility for non-Abbfabb students who wish to take the Introductory Certificate Practical and Theory assessments as fast track candidates. This includes a two day improver training course, and all the practical and theory units as detailed above.
Fees for this facility are £1000.00.
To achieve the full City and Guilds Level 3 Qualification in Dog Grooming, both the City and Guilds Introductory Certificate in Dog Grooming and the City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma for Professional Stylists, will need to be completed.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Complete the form to subscribe to our newsletter. We will send you information about courses, offers, services and upcoming events. We do not SPAM and will not pass your email address to any 3rd parties.